Over the years, our program's founder, SF Grandmaster, and long-time SF
Workshop leader James Gunn established some basic writing rules. Here they are:
- The solutions to one generation's problems become the next generation's problems.
- Science fiction is about a basic movement from ignorance to knowledge.
- Honest writers don't stack the deck.
- Ideas are cheap, it's the (writing) time that's precious.
- The really big ideas have no solution.
- A sequel is evidence that the writer hasnt done his job in the first novel.
- Let's save the world through science fiction!
- If you can do anything, there is nothing worth doing.
- Fantasy is distinguished from science fiction by being hierarchical rather than democratic.
- Gunn's Law: Sell it twice!
Back to Workshop resources page.